Friday, July 31, 2009

Paci Boot Camp Night #1

Well after a long time of procrastinating (and that's not like me), Adam and I decided that this weekend was the time to say goodbye to the paci. Taylor loves her paci. It provides so much comfort, but I know she can do with out. She hasn't had a paci at daycare since she turned one. I held off taking it from her during all summer due to all the changes (schedules, new baby, etc). Right now we aren't having any changes and she's adjusted to Kendall wonderfully. So the time is right.

I've researched several methods of getting rid of the paci. There's the "binky fairy" the "binky tree" where you bury it outside. You can just throw it away or let it disappear. I've thought about all these methods and knew they weren't going to cut it. Then FINALLY I saw the best suggestion. It would work perfect for Taylor. The mom suggested cutting the rubber end off the paci. So there isn't anything for them to suck. It would take too much effort for them to keep in there mouth. We would tell Taylor it's 'broken.' That she has to throw it away. She would understand this and I think would handle it better than anything else. There's actual reasoning behind it... it's broke... it's trash.

So this afternoon, we came home and Adam cut the tip off. She looked at it... and put it in her mouth. She walked around a little while playing with it. When I got in, I made a big deal about it being broken. "What happened? It's broke." She looks up at me and says "Daddy." I swear nothing gets past her. After that she threw it on the floor and went off to play. I thought this would be too easy.

Bedtime came and Adam still let her have it. He had the right idea that she couldn't suck on it so why can't she have it in her posession for tonight. So in bed she starts whining. I went in there and told her to hold her paci or put it on her headboard for later. She seemed to like that idea. She did end up crying for about 15 minutes, but she also missed her nap today. She probably would have cried anyways. I'm impressed! Boot Camp Night #1: SUCCESS! (so far!) Things could change by morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I THINK YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING TO DO AWAY WITH THE PASSI. THE LONGER YOU WAIT THE HARDER IT WILL BE. CUTTING THE END OFF SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA. SHE MAY MISS IT A NIGHT OR TWO BUT IT DOSEN,TAKE LONG TO GET ADJUSTED
HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD NIGHT
LOVE NANA AND PA ALLEN

Anonymous said...

A PRECIOUS PICTURE OF KENDALL AND TAYLOR. KENDALL HAS HER SMILE ON
LOVE NANA AND PA ALLEN