Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kendall's Summer Fun

Well I have to say Kendall hasn't had no where near as much fun as Taylor has this summer (see next post) but I thought I'd cap Kendalls summer as well. Really this is just the month of June.

She was finally diagnosed with reflux and we just started our third medicine for it. Luckily this medicine seems to be working (most days) but we'll take it for now. She also is on her third formula but it seems to be doing okay for now (most days). She's still a high maintenance baby - gassy, refluxy, colicky, rotten baby. I always knew she would be my cuddly baby because Taylor wasn't... but I didn't realize what that meant as an infant.
Her biggent event this month was her weeklong hospital trip. I'm sure most have heard about it but it was pretty dramatic. I came home one evening from swim lessons with Taylor and Kendall (who had slept the entire day) was running a 102 fever. I knew this was a big deal for a 5 week old but I wasn't prepared for what was ahead. THe nurse on call told us to go to the Children's hospital and be prepared to stay the night. So we left at 8:00 that night (snuck away from Taylor as she was already asleep) and headed to the hospital. What the nurse didn't tell us what that it wasn't for one night but for three nights. And they weren't concerned about her dehydrating as much as her having spinal meningitis. They ended up taking blood, uring (both to culture) and having to do a spinal tap to test for meningitis. It was quite traumatizing.... but she seemed to take it well. They kept us in the hospital until the culture results were back, which takes 48 hours. Obviously they were negative. Meanwhile, I spent the most exhausting week of my life. The doctors went ahead and started treating her as if she had some kind of bacterial infection so she was on two different antibiotics around the clock and an antiviral. Night shifts were horrible. She would wake up to eat at 1:00 and 20 minutes after she got back to sleep the nurses would walk in to do her medicine treatment. This would happen atleast twice in the night. It was rough!

We were able to come home on day 4 and she seems to be all better. She ended up having a virus. In fact, the same virus (Fifth's Disease/Slap Cheek?) Taylor had the week before that caused a fever and rash. When Kendall developed her rash, we knew for sure what it was. We are just hoping for no more fevers for a while. THey tell us we will have to repeat this mess if she develops one again in the next two weeks.





She is starting to smile and coo more.... on her good days, which she seems to be having more of these days... but that can change at any minute.


Sleeping with Mommy...

Lastly, we have battled with thrush since she was born. Thrush is an absolute pain in the butt... for those of you not familiar with it, it's basically a yeast infection in her mouth. It can be painful to eat, suck,etc and shows up as white patches in their mouth. We've gone through three prescriptions of Nystatin with not much luck. The antibiotics in the hospital didn't help either. Finally, I resorted to Gentian Violet. I have heard of this stuff and Kristin used it with Ava Grace. I didn't realize until last night that it's an herbal/natural remedy and you don't need a prescription. Luckily our local walgreens had a bottle so we did our first treatment tonight. It does dye everything purple, so Kendall will look ridiculous for a while but if it rids of her thrush we'll all be happier. Here I dressed her in her purple out fit and she looks so pertty... purple really is her color.



Kendall starts daycare on Monday. We are looking forward to it. She will do well at Lisa's. She's in desperate need of a schedule and I'm not the best person at establishing that. Hopefully she will adjust/transition well. I return back to work on Wednesday... hopefully I'll adjust/transition to that as well.

2 comments:

Keith, Kristin, Ava Grace, and Will said...

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. You know, I haven't seen Kendall in person, but a lot of these pictures remind me of Ava Grace's baby pictures. You send her to Cousin Kristin's house anytime you need a break! :)

Anonymous said...

I too am sorry that it's time for you & me to go back to work. I wish you, Melissa and I and all the kids had more days to play together. But, we still have some Fridays until school starts back. By the way, I'm so impressed that Kendall has already learned to match her lipstick to her clothes. I'm sure her purse matches also. And purple really is her color.
CiCi