Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hello from Adam

I just wanted to drop a quick line and say thanks to everybody concerned about our family. Amy got her 17P shot today and is feeling much better with the contractions. And Taylor seems only to have a cough.

My legs are worlds better. They just look worlds worse. The bruising has turned a nice shade of black and purple and has spread up and down and around my legs. On my left leg, it has even made its way to my heel. Also, there is still a fair amount of swelling. I am not quite sure how I didn't break anything. When Paul and Amy and myself went out to look at the limb, there was only 3 to 4 inches of space where my leg was pinned. Obviously my leg is not that thin.

On a different note, Amy has been telling me for years that I need to be more careful, and that I am not invincible. For the most part, I think I have been more careful(especially since Taylor). But, as 'The attack of the Pecan Tree' shows, you can never be too careful. I think the two weirdest conversations I had after the accident were from Amy, and surprisingly, my little bro Daniel. First, Amy sits me down and wants to talk about life insurance. Do you have enough Adam? When you die I want to make sure that the kids and I will be OK? I found this to be a weird conversation for 2 hours after arriving home from the hospital. But, I assured her that if I bit the bullet, that she and the kids would be in great standing.


Then shortly after this, I get a call from Daniel. He does the family obligated 'are you alright?', and then proceeds to tell me that I must be running out of lives. He tells me that I have gotten into too many accidents and that I should be more careful. So I respond by telling him that it was just an accident and that no matter how careful you are, you can never be sure when it comes to trees, AND that I will be back out to Pauls to personally kill that limb. At this point he just doesn't care and starts naming the car accidents, fallings(from great heights), near bow and arrow misses, ricochets, 4-wheeler accidents(more than he could even count) and countless other things that ALMOST messed my world up.

Well, I have to say that I do intend to be more careful, and that Daniel was the one that really got me thinking. It wasn't because of the near misses that I have had. I think if you talk to almost any guy, you will find that they all have them. Some have more, some have less, but I believe that every guy has them. What really got me thinking was the fact that it came from Daniel. This is a kid who, when he thought that I was going to Turkey for the war in Iraq, had only one thing to say to me as I left. It was 'If you get killed can I have your stereo?' That was the last thing he said to me before we both thought I was heading to Turkey, and then into Iraq. Now, he was like 8 and all he could think about was a stereo, and didn't understand the gravity of the situation, but once he called about the tree accident, I just couldn't get the two conversations out of my head.

Well that's all. I just wanted to let everybody(Carol and Paul and Amy) know that I intend to be more careful. I think Amy is right about the insurance, and I believe I am going to make a great step in that direction. So first thing in the morning, I am upping HER insurance!

And what is it she says? BLOGGING OFF for now.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

It's great hearing from you, Adam! I'm glad life is settling down for you all and that you're improving, Baby M is settling down, and Taylor is feeling better. Love y'all!

Anonymous said...

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU TODAY AND GLAD THINGS ARE LOOKING UP. I ALWAYS SAY "THE SUN WILL SHINE AGAIN" AND IT DOES. THINKING OF YOU AND AMY TODAY . KEEP ME INFORMED. LOVE NANA

Anonymous said...

Way to go Adam; and way to go Daniel. Out of the mouth of babes...well Daniel's not exactly a baby, but very profound coming from a teen. Do you remember me telling you after the head-on years ago that I prayed you up and down the road many a nights? Well, those prayers have continued, right up the tree and down. You, as well as all my kids, are in my prayers every night. God is the one watching out for you. He has plans for you. Be careful so that they can be fulfilled. And, you should write more often. What about something for The Book?
Love ya,
c