Thursday, March 12, 2009

Blind standing at Death's Door

First thought for the day: When you think things just can't get any worse... THEY CAN!

Second thought for the day: What doesn't kill us will make us stronger but at some point we're begging someone to go ahead and put us out of our misery.


I knew on January 3 that 2009 was going to be a whopping of a year. That each of us would be faced with each of our own obstacles to overcome. Adam had his burden with his leg and accident, Taylor with her sicknesses and ears, and well this week was mine.

My official start to bedrest:

Day one: babysitter sick, no one to keep Taylor and I really needed that day to recoop from overdoing it on the weekend. Started with the stomach flu that evening.

Day Two: Dying on the bathroom floor, hopital visit, full moon, baby on the way- need I say more?

Day three: Corneal scratch - wishing for the GI bug all over again.

Day Four - today... oh boy, I can't wait to see what is in store for today!


So you ask how did I manage to scratch my cornea while being sick and not having any energy to even pick up my dirty clothes. Well yesteray morning, I finally woke with no fever and thought I would clean up some of the germies around my room. Luckily I was smart enough to prioritize and I took a shower first to rid of the death smell. I barely made it through the shower and a quick clean up of my bathroom before I had to sit down. As I'm on the floor, I decided to move a TV cable wire that was in the way that I've been tripping on everytime I go to the bathroom. Well instead of the wire going where I wanted it to go, it whipped back and hit me square in the face - smack in the open eye. My reflexes must still be paralyzed from the virus.

I knew immediately I did something horrible. The pain that went shooting through my eye and head was atrocious. I didn't see stars like some people say but that could be because I was blinded by the pain but the ringing in my ear didn't stop for a long time. I started hyperventilating and almost passed out. Luckily after a few good breaths, my head cleared... but the pain did not. To make a long and painful story short... I knew I had cut my eyeball. You could see it... when I could open my eye. I was able to get in to the eye doctor that afternoon but had no way of getting there. Everyone was working or unreachable. I sat in the driveway attempting to take myself but realized before even getting out of the driveway that I couldn't see a darn thing. Luckily Nana called at that instant and came to my rescue.

She took me to the doctor where she didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. "You have a pretty big scratch on your cornea - candy cane shaped." She was able to numb my eye for the visit but the drops only lasted 15 minutes and she couldn't prescribe any to go home with me. I went home with an antibiotic gel to put in my eye and she told me that it should heal fast. The good side is it does seem to be healing fast as I am here not quite 24 hours later on the computer but yesterday afternoon and evening, I've never been in so much pain.

She advised me to keep my eye closed. But keeping it closed wasn't enough. Even the eyeball moving while closed sent excrutiating pain through my head. How do you not move your eye ball??? It does it on it's on. For the 2nd night I was unable to see Taylor. Adam put her in bed with me but trying to look out my 'good' eye was so painful for the other that I just ended up in tears and begged them to leave. I went to bed with some Tylenol pm and slept suprisingly well. This morning it seems to be doing much better. In fact, with each hour it feels better and better, I think. Light still stings my eye pretty bad. I'll never make fun of people wearing glasses indoors again... they may be recovering from a cornea scratch. I go back to the doctor tomorrow for them to recheck.

So that's the crazy story. I wonder what is next for the week... because it's only Thursday. Today is Adam's birthday so hopefully nothing will go wrong. He has been such a trooper this week and taken up all the slack. He deserves a great birthday!

No comments: