Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dying at Death's Door

That's my phrase for the week if you've seen my facebook. I also thought it would make a catching blog title... especially after being faced with death.

I started with the famous stomach bug late Monday night and have never been sicker in my life. It is amazing how quickly your life can do a 180 so quickly. Monday I felt fine. Adam and I visited Nana and Allen and had dinner with them. We got home and Taylor in bed and I thouht I'd go to bed early. I laid in bed for an hour and couldn't sleep so decided to get up. About an hour later I started throwing up everything on my stomach. I can assure you I didn't stop until my stomach was empty. That was just the beginning. For the next 7 hours, I was running to the bathroom every 30 minutes - like clockwork. If vomiting wasn't bad enough, after about 2 hours of that, I had it out the other end as well. I was sooo thirsty but every sip of fluid that I took just sent me to the toilet. And it gets worse.... at around 2:00 (in the morning) during one of my wretch fests and such, I noticed that I was spotting. Shortly after that I began cramping pretty badly. I couldn't get in touch with my OB doctor so finally called my home nurse company. Of course they wanted me to come into the hospital.

So at 3:00 in the morning, we are waking family up to come watch Taylor. I'm freaking out because with every bathroom visit I'm bleeding more and more. Not to mention, I wasn't sure how I was going to get to the hospital anyways. A yuck bucket is only good one way. And it was a full-moon, my doctor is on-call, and I was wearing the same shirt I wore when I delivered Taylor - not that I'm supersticious or anything.

Even though I kept telling people I thought I was going to die and even smelled like death by the time we left. That hopsital trip was the shortest ever. They gave me fluids (though I think I needed more), gave me medicine to stop the contractions, told me the bleeding is from the wretching and sent me home. I think we were there 2.5 hours. I was home and in bed by 6:30 and can honestly say this is the first time I've been out of my room since then. Yesterday I stayed in bed all day. The GI symptoms subsided but I still ran a fever and was very weak yesterday. THis morning I am feeling much better and as of now...no fever.

A big thanks to mom and dad who came out in the wee morning hours to stay with Taylor. And a HUGE thanks to my hubby who has played stay at home dad/hubby since Monday. He did such a wonderful job taking care of me - and making sure I get better. He also managed the house and has been a single father for the last day or so. He did a great job. Now I can't wait to see Taylor!

2 comments:

kay said...

You have a guardian angel

Anonymous said...

How could you know this day would get worse when you wrote this post? I'm so sorry I wasn't much help to you today; thank God for Nana. I hope your eye is better soon. I love you.
mom